30 June 2009

Surprise your playing poker!

Last night all the dealers were getting ready for the first instalment of the “International’s Summer Festival” £50+£50 ROE all the tables were set, all the chairs were in place and all the cards were ready to go. I got called over to the table in the corner where all the dealers were sat down with 20 random coloured chips each.
“You in?” asked the dealer with cards.
“Yeah, what are you playing?”
The game was called “the game” which played like Cincinnati but with some twists. Everyone antied 1 chip, they were then dealt 5 cards and a flop. The lowest card on the flop was wild (I’m not sure what happens if the board comes 8,2,2, where the bottom two cards match) and if you wanted to stay in then you put a further 2 chips into the middle, then the last two community cards were dealt and then there was a show down, everyone is allowed to use up to 2 cards from their own hand like Omaha and the winner tales the pot of chips, this game went on for about 10mins with slight variations each hand. The TD (tournament director) came over and told the dealers to finish up, I had been running good, more or less every time I stayed in I won and every time I had folded I would have defiantly not won. I had just over 60 chips in front of me and was about to throw them in when something I had not expected happened. Some of the dealers started to throw in money for the amount of chips they were down, so I handed over 20 of my chips saying, there’s my buy-in and there’s my profit. Considering that I had no idea that I was gambling I had found the game great fun. But now that I know it is for monies I will have to wait till after my sabbatical to have another go.
The question I asked myself as I was now reviewing the hands played was would I have played the same if I knew that money was at stake? I’d like to think so as I hit a “true” straight flush (not using the wild card) 4 of a kind – twice!! But who knows....

Back to my relapsed sabbatical. Tonight I will be dealing the £30 rebuy for the main event, and watching both interesting and crazy poker. I will be dealing all week for the International’s Summer Festival before heading to Europe on tour for two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment