08 October 2009

Baby Needs A New Pair Of Shoes

Tonight I got invited to a new potentially regular poker game. The room is no bigger than a prison cell and we still manage to squeeze two tables in so 18 players could play.
It is a £10+3 freezeout with a starting stack of 4000. 15min blind levels with the "option to re-register" (including vig) within the 1st hour thus allowing the organisers to gain maximum profit! Hosted by the next roulette nation girl or so I'm told.
Ok not perfect but as long as you have a good run of cards and are playing against reasonably competent opponents then you have more hope of lasting longer than a chocolate fire guard. Unfortunately tonight was not the case;
In the forces they have an expression "red arse" meaning to be so new that their bottom is still red from when their mother smacked them as a child. Tonight I was on a table full of red arse's the only problem with playing players who have absolutely no Idea is that they have no idea. When in such circumstances there rules which I believe you must follow in order to survive:

1. Never bluff
2. Never bluff
3. Value bet at every opportunity
Now, following these rules, I stack my chips off to 94os and J7c respectfully. I rebuy and then lose my entire stack as I move all in with AKs having two pair and get called by A 10 who hits a runner runner for a flush.

I would like to remind you of what I wrote in my first blog entry...

“Perfect poker play is; knowing what everyone else has and playing accordingly”

My question to you now is can you play perfect poker against players when they don’t even know what they’ve got. How are you supposed to know if they don’t? If you can’t then should you go to such evenings, upon reviewing tonight I feel that if I were to venture to another night out like tonight then I will not be able to play properly so why put myself into situation where I might as well be rolling dice hopping to get lucky.

1 comment:

  1. This is the very reason why I'm partial to a blind raise in a cash game (whilst there is also some merit to 'checking in the dark'). Zero information is given to your opponent, whilst you learn information from their moves in reaction.

    Checking in the dark however can lead to trouble. Sometimes you need to make people pay for the draws, etc, but on a bigger meta game play, some players can tune into the type of hand you have when you elect to check in the dark.

    The Baron.

    ReplyDelete