23 November 2009

Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.

We often read in articles that in order to be successful at poker we must be patient. What some players fail to understand that we must be patient not only hand by hand but game by game and session by session because poker does not reset the figures whenever you go to sleep, the cards don’t forget because they don’t remember in the first place and finally you are never “owed” a flush because you are drawing for the 5th time without hitting.

Too many players think that there is a quicker way rather than waiting. Too many players are like Infantry men who are waiting for a lift on the 5th floor to go down to the 1st. They push buttons up and down because they believe that they will get where they are going quicker. No matter how nicely I try to tell them (on my way up to the 7th floor) that they would have been quicker if they only push the button for the direction they wish to travel (and you have to be careful telling these guys) they just don’t understand why it would slow them down. They don’t understand that the lift would have one less stop. They believe that because they got on the lift quicker they will get to where they are going quicker. They also find it annoying and believes that one of their mates are pulling a practical joke when the lift opens on the 5th floor on the way down and no one is there.

My last session was not very successful I played 1 MTT, 2 SNG’s and a cash game to boot all live – I lost every game, not all down to bad play but lessons were learnt. I played the whole evening patiently but as I was evidently going to be down I decided to give myself a stop loss limit so the night may end in the black but not too much. So I headed back home reminding myself to be patient, got in my lift and went straight up to the 7th floor, it was 2am and all the soldiers were asleep.

Just a short blog, but be patient and another will arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment